Real average hourly earnings for all employees fell 0.1 percent from September to October, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on November 17.  This decrease stems from a 0.2 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U), which offset a 0.2 percent increase in average hourly earnings.

Real average weekly earnings rose 0.3 percent over the month, as a 0.3 percent increase in the average work week combined with the decline in real average hourly earnings.

Real average hourly earnings rose 0.5 percent, seasonally adjusted, from October 2009 to October 2010. A 1.8 percent increase in average weekly hours, combined with the increase in real average hourly earnings, resulted in a 2.3 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period.

Production and non-supervisory employees
Real average hourly earnings for production and non-supervisory employees rose 0.1 percent from September to October, seasonally adjusted.  This result stemmed from a 0.3 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) and a 0.4 percent increase in average hourly earnings.

Real average weekly earnings rose 0.4 percent over the month, as a result of a 0.3 percent increase in the average work week combined with the increase in real average hourly earnings.

Real average hourly earnings rose 0.7 percent, seasonally adjusted, from October 2009 to October 2010. The increase in real average hourly earnings combined with a 1.8 percent increase in the average work week, resulted in a 2.4 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period.