- Buyer's Guide
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) now requires safety instructors who provide 10- and 30-hour OSHA cards to supply their students with 42 pages of new handouts, mostly concerning employee rights. The experts at MANCOMM, a compliance and safety training publisher, saw this paper-heavy initiative as a process in need of streamlining – so they did something about it.
“Important new directives make it mandatory for workers to receive the information in those handouts,” said Benjamin W. Mangan, president of MANCOMM. “But generating and sorting all those copies would consume far more time and paper than necessary. Handouts for 100 workers would mean dealing with 4,200 sheets of paper. So we decided to help business and industry safety trainers by providing them with a more compact training tool.”
MANCOMM’s compliance experts have condensed, rewritten for clarity, compiled and redesigned the information in those OSHA-required handouts so it now fits into a concise 16-page booklet called “Introduction to OSHA”.
“We want our safety training products to give employers a competitive advantage,” Mangan said. “In this case, we sought to create an efficient training tool which shows employees that their employers care about their well-being.”
Official government handouts covered by the booklet include:
1. Weekly fatality/catastrophe report
2. OSHA poster on worker rights
3. Material safety data sheet (MSDS) example
4. “Your rights as a whistleblower” fact sheet
5. “Refusing to work because conditions are dangerous” handout
6. OSHA 300 log example
7. “Employers must provide and pay for PPE” handout
8. How to read the OSHA standards: multiple handouts to cover general industry, construction and maritime industry
9. “Safety and health resources” handout
10. “Navigating the OSHA Web site” handout
11. “Identifying safety and health problems in the workplace” handout
12. Filing an OSHA-complaint handout, including form: multiple handouts to cover general industry, construction and maritime industry
OSHA Employee Protection Quiz
How familiar are you with OSHA’s employee protection regulations? Take this quiz and find out. These questions and their solutions were derived from facts presented in MANCOMM’s “Introduction to OSHA” booklet. The answers are found at the end of the article.
How many wrong answers are permissible? In the workplace: zero. Employee protection is a serious issue with no leeway for error.
Simplifying the Training Process
“We want to make life easier for our customers by simplifying the training process,” Mangan said. “Now safety trainers can rest easy, knowing that when they hand out these booklets, each trainee will have all the new additional information as mandated by OSHA.”
For more information on the “Introduction to OSHA” booklet, visit www.mancomm.com/Products/Introduction-to-OSHA__36T-105-01.aspx.
Since 1996, MANCOMM has been committed to helping businesses by providing them with state-of-the-art compliance and safety training products. To order or for more information, call 800-626-2666 or visit MANCOMM.com.
SAFETY QUIZ ANSWERS: