Average hourly earnings for U.S. workers fell 0.1% in September

RP news wires
Tags: talent management, business management

Real average hourly earnings for all employees in the United States fell 0.1 percent from August to September, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on October 15. This decrease stems from a 0.1 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U), while average hourly earnings remained unchanged.

Real average weekly earnings fell 0.1 percent over the month, as a result of an unchanged average work week combined with the decline in real average hourly earnings. Since reaching a recent low in October 2009, real average weekly earnings have risen 2.0 percent.

Real average hourly earnings rose 0.5 percent, seasonally adjusted, from September 2009 to September 2010. A 1.2 percent increase in average weekly hours, combined with the increase in real average hourly earnings, resulted in a 1.7 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period.

Production and non-supervisory employees
Real average hourly earnings for production and non-supervisory employees fell 0.1 percent from August to September, seasonally adjusted. This result stemmed from a 0.2 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W), offsetting a 0.1 percent increase in average hourly earnings.

Real average weekly earnings fell 0.1 percent over the month, as a result of an unchanged average work week combined with the decline in real average hourly earnings. Since reaching a recent low point in June 2009, real average weekly earnings have risen 2.1 percent.

Real average hourly earnings rose 0.7 percent, seasonally adjusted, from September 2009 to September 2010. The increase in real average hourly earnings combined with a 1.2 percent increase in the average work week, resulted in a 1.9 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period.


About the Author