Average hourly earnings for U.S. workers fell 0.2% in July

RP news wires
Tags: talent management

Real average hourly earnings for all employees fell 0.2 percent from June to July, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on August 13. This decrease stems from a 0.2 percent increase in average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).

Real average weekly earnings rose 0.2 percent over the month, as a result of a 0.3 percent increase in the average work week combined with the decrease in real average hourly earnings. Since reaching a recent low in October 2009, real average weekly earnings have risen 2.0 percent.

Real average hourly earnings rose 0.4 percent, seasonally adjusted, from July 2009 to July 2010. A 1.2 percent increase in average weekly hours, combined with the increase in real average hourly earnings resulted in a 1.6 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period.

Production and non-supervisory employees
Real average hourly earnings for production and non-supervisory employees fell 0.2 percent from June to July, seasonally adjusted. This result stemmed from a 0.4 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) while average hourly earnings rose 0.1 percent.

Real average weekly earnings was about unchanged over the month, as a result of a 0.3 percent increase in the work week being offset by the change in real average hourly earnings. Since reaching a low point in June 2009, real average weekly earnings have risen 2.3 percent.

Real average hourly earnings rose 0.7 percent, seasonally adjusted, from July 2009 to July 2010. The increase in real average hourly earnings and a 1.2 percent increase in the average work week resulted in a 1.8 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period. 


About the Author