Real average hourly earnings for all employees rose 0.1 percent from May to June, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on July 16. This increase stems from a 0.1 percent decrease in average hourly earnings combined with a 0.1 percent decrease in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).

Real average weekly earnings fell 0.2 percent over the month, as a result of a 0.3 percent decrease in the average work week combined with the increase in real average hourly earnings. Since reaching a recent low in October 2009, real average weekly earnings have risen 1.7 percent.

Real average hourly earnings rose 0.6 percent, seasonally adjusted, from June 2009 to June 2010. A 0.9 percent increase in average weekly hours, combined with the increase in real average hourly earnings resulted in an 1.5 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period.

Production and non-supervisory employees
Real average hourly earnings for production and non-supervisory employees rose 0.1 percent from May to June, seasonally adjusted. This result stemmed from a 0.2 percent decrease in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) while average hourly earnings remained unchanged.

Real average weekly earnings rose 0.2 percent over the month, resulting from an unchanged work week and the change in real average hourly earnings. Since reaching a low point in June 2009, real average weekly earnings have risen 2.1 percent.

Real average hourly earnings rose 0.9 percent, seasonally adjusted, from June 2009 to June 2010. The increase in real average hourly earnings and a 1.2 percent increase in the average work week resulted in a 2.1 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period.