Real average hourly earnings was unchanged from December 2009 to January 2010, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on February 19. A 0.2 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) was offset by a 0.2 percent increase in average hourly earnings for all employees.

Real average weekly earnings grew 0.3 percent over the month, as a result of a 0.3 percent increase in the average work week and no change in real average hourly earnings. Over the past six months, real average weekly earnings are essentially unchanged.

Real average hourly earnings fell 0.6 percent, seasonally adjusted, from January 2009 to January 2010. A 0.9 percent decline in average weekly hours combined with the decrease in real average hourly earnings resulted in a 1.5 percent decrease in real average weekly earnings during this period.

Production and non-supervisory employee
Real average hourly earnings fell 0.1 percent from December 2009 to January 2010, seasonally adjusted. A 0.3 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) was slightly more than offset by a 0.3 percent increase in average hourly earnings for production and non-supervisory employees.

Real average weekly earnings increased 0.2 percent over the month, as a result of the change in real average hourly earnings and a 0.3 percent increase in the average work week. Since reaching a recent high point in December 2008, real average weekly earnings have fallen by 1.0 percent.

Real average hourly earnings fell 0.9 percent, seasonally adjusted, from January 2009 to January 2010. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with an unchanged work week resulted in a 0.9 percent decrease in real average weekly earnings during this period.