- Buyer's Guide
The Hand Tools Institute has designated the month of May as “National Hand Tool Safety Month.” Misuse of hand tools contributes to thousands of hand tool related injuries each year requiring emergency hospital treatment.
Among the safety rules to be emphasized during the national campaign are:
· Always wear safety goggles when using hand tools.
· Plastic covered pliers handles are for comfort only, not for protection from electrical current.
· Never use screwdrivers for any other purpose than tightening or loosening fasteners.
· Never use cheater bars on tools.
· Claw hammers are for driving and removing finishing and common nails, not masonry nails or striking other tools.
Posters, booklets, videos and charts are available from the institute’s headquarters in
For more information, visit www.hti.org.