- Buyer's Guide
As a leader in providing the world with sustainable solutions, DuPont on April 21 recognized businesses from around the world in announcing the winners of the 20th DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation.
"Sustainable packaging is a growing and important focus area for DuPont," said Diane Gulyas, group vice president for DuPont Performance Materials. "Sustainability matters to packaged goods companies and consumers. DuPont is responding with offerings that reduce the environmental impact of packaging in a number of ways, including the introduction of renewably sourced materials that enable the use of recycled content and that help eliminate or reduce the amount of packaging an application may require. This is in line with DuPont's commitment to support reducing the environmental footprint along the value chains where we participate."
Recent data highlights the growing need for improved sustainability in packaged goods. In one survey, more than 60 percent of consumer goods companies said they expect to change their packaging in the next year to make it more sustainable. A study of U.S. consumers found seven out of 10 were willing to pay more for products made with renewable resources. In line with these trends, DuPont focused the 20th DuPont Awards program on recognizing achievements that improve the sustainability of products and processes. An international expert jury chose winners based on factors such as responsible sourcing, effective recovery and energy optimization.
"As part of its commitment to sustainability, DuPont brought together a diverse group of jurors with substantial industry expertise to identify and honor significant innovations that demonstrate progress toward more sustainable packaging," said Anne Johnson, director of the Sustainable Packaging Coalition. "Turning the focus of DuPont's long-running Packaging Awards toward sustainability reflects DuPont's 20-year history of leadership in supporting packaging innovation. We are pleased to have DuPont's support in helping shape future direction in this vitally important area."
Winning achievements include the following: (full details are available at: http://www2.dupont.com/Packaging/en_US/news_events/20th_dupont_packaging_awards_winners.html). (Due to URL length, please copy and paste into your browser)
· Replacing traditional confectionary packaging inserts with a biodegradable component made from renewable resources.
· A new compostable, biodegradable flexible pack that supports natural branding of the product and helps assure effective post-use recovery.
· New fresh produce packaging that uses only renewable and biodegradable materials in support of responsible sourcing, clean production and effective recovery.
· Redesigning a familiar food container for nearly 20 percent weight reduction, improved transport efficiency and energy conservation while retaining brand appeal.
· Reducing food waste with a new approach for single-serve ambient food packaging.
· Reducing energy usage in the manufacturing process by more than 50 percent via new process technology that enables a one-step process to replace a four-part approach.
· Providing social benefit through an energy-saving alternative approach to bottle systems that improves access to clean drinking water.
The DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation is the industry's longest running, independently judged global awards program honoring packaging materials, processes, technology and service innovations. The 20th DuPont Awards has a special focus on recognizing innovations that demonstrate breakthrough achievements in sustainability.
DuPont – one of the first companies to publicly establish environmental goals 18 years ago – has broadened its sustainability commitments beyond internal footprint reduction to include market-driven targets for both revenue and research and development investment. The goals are tied directly to business growth, specifically to the development of safer and environmentally improved new products for key global markets such as packaging.
DuPont is a science-based products and services company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 70 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture and food, building and construction, communications, and transportation.
Web page on 20th DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation: http://www2.dupont.com/Packaging/en_US/news_events/20th_dupont_packaging_awards_winners.html
For more information about DuPont Packaging and the Awards competition, visit: www.packaging.dupont.com.